What is The Vegan(ish) Experiment?

Our family (me, my husband D, and our four-year-old Molly) started 2009 with a mostly-vegan, macrobiotic-inspired diet (although I have to admit, the strict macro rules have pretty much gone out the window). I have seen a marked improvement in my chronic migraines, and I'm enjoying proving that we can make amazing, mouth-watering, memorable food without animal products. For a more in-depth intro, click here.

I stopped updating this blog quite awhile back, when life got in the way. I'm still keeping a mostly vegan kitchen, though, and loving it. Have fun browsing my recipes!

Monday, October 12, 2009

Day 285: Thai Peanut Noodles with Spinach

This recipe is one I whipped up in less than half an hour on a weeknight, when I was short on perishables except for a soon-to-be-old bag of spinach. You could make the recipe without spinach, too, but I like the color and nutritional value it adds.

Thai Peanut Noodles with Spinach

Ingredients:

6 oz. (pre-cooked weight) whole wheat angel hair pasta

1/2 c. smooth peanut butter (I like to use Teddy's, an all-natural brand)
1 can lite coconut milk
1 T. red chili paste (Sambal Oelek chili paste is pretty mild, but if you or your kids are really heat-sensitive, you might want to add a little less)
1 T. brown rice syrup (or 1 t. agave nectar)
2 T. apple cider vinegar
1/4 t. garlic powder
salt to taste

1 10-oz. bag spinach

Directions:
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
  2. In a medium saucepan, combine peanut butter and coconut milk. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is smooth.
  3. While peanut butter/coconut milk mixture is heating, place spinach in a microwave-safe container with a couple of tablespoons of water. Cover loosely and microwave for 1-2 minutes, until spinach is wilted.
  4. When peanut butter mixture is smooth, add remaining ingredients and continue to heat over medium-low until warmed through.
  5. Add noodles and spinach to sauce and stir over medium-low flame until the entire mixture is warmed through.

12 comments:

  1. Becki, this looks delicious! I am supposed to add more garlic to my diet. I think I will try this. Miss Etna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have coconut milk, how much rice or almond milk would I use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anon -

    The coconut milk adds a lot of flavor to the recipe. I suppose you could add a little rice or almond milk to thin out the sauce (to the consistency you want), but it would definitely affect the taste.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thai noodles with spinach. Yum! This looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures makes me want to eat the computer screen! Although I'm not vegan, I do eat vegetables, and it looks like this recipe is one that will please my carnivorous tastebuds even if it doesn't have meat in it! I love it! Share more recipes, Becky.

    Oh, and I almost forgot. Keep posting pictures too!!! I love how you present your recipes! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks delish.
    Anon - I use almond, oat, soya milks all the time, but when you're making something like this, you really need the coconut milk for its flavour and also the way it binds things. It's worth picking some up at your local supermarket. You can buy dried, so it keeps for ages, or in tins, but that needs using more quickly. Hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good. I'm going to try lime juice instead of vinegar for a bit more authentic flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks royal gclub

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. download royal

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks จีคลับคาสิโน

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. จีคลับคาสิโน

    ReplyDelete
  12. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! จีคลับคาสิโน

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people come back and tell me how the recipes turned out - please consider doing so! Thanks!

 

blogger templates