What is The Vegan(ish) Experiment?

Our family (me, my husband D, and our four-year-old Molly) started 2009 with a mostly-vegan, macrobiotic-inspired diet (although I have to admit, the strict macro rules have pretty much gone out the window). I have seen a marked improvement in my chronic migraines, and I'm enjoying proving that we can make amazing, mouth-watering, memorable food without animal products. For a more in-depth intro, click here.

I stopped updating this blog quite awhile back, when life got in the way. I'm still keeping a mostly vegan kitchen, though, and loving it. Have fun browsing my recipes!

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Day -11: The Great American Meal

A timeline:

Saturday:
6 PM - Walk into the snowy night, bundled up. Go two blocks and walk into Hancock Tavern.
6:15 PM - Get beer. Discuss appetizers. Starving after a day of Christmas shopping.
6:15-6:35 - Wonder what's taking the server so long.
6:35 - Order food. Ask server for water (for the second time).
6:50 - Get buffalo chicken tenders. Eat too many while waiting for entree.
7:15 - Get entree (single-sized Mediterranean pizza). Eat two small pieces and stop. It's not very good, and the chicken filled me up during the 40 minutes between ordering and actually getting the entree.
7:40 - Where is the server? Start putting Molly's snowsuit and boots on to send a message.
7:45 - Get the check. Try to convince D that we should only give a 15% tip. (That's like a 10% tip in states outside of the Northeast.) He righfully points out that, although this server is really not good, we come here a lot. We don't want to get on her bad side. We settle on a 22% tip. That'll show her.
8:00 - Arrive back at home, feeling pretty gross. D points out that most restaurants that take almost two hours end up costing a couple hundred bucks. I think you get what you pay for...
Sunday:
5 AM - Stagger out of bedroom. Find Mylanta. Chug it straight from the bottle.
5:01 - Stagger back to bed, holding stomach. Go back to sleep repeating the refrain, "I really do feel like crap when I eat crap. I really do feel like crap when I eat crap."
5:10 - Dream of bloatedness, heartburn, and indigestion.
6:30 - Molly wakes me up. I still feel gross.

I'm definitely ready to start this experiment. We eat healthy enough most of the time, which just highlights how absolutely disgusting bad-for-me food makes me feel. How on Earth do some people eat like this every day?

1 comment:

  1. You'll find the better you start eating, the worse bad stuff makes you feel when you do indulge. In some way this is totally unfair, but on the other hand, it's a good thing, and a real Pavlov-type reinforcement of your good intentions! Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people come back and tell me how the recipes turned out - please consider doing so! Thanks!

 

blogger templates