What is The Vegan(ish) Experiment?

Our family (me, my husband D, and our four-year-old Molly) started 2009 with a mostly-vegan, macrobiotic-inspired diet (although I have to admit, the strict macro rules have pretty much gone out the window). I have seen a marked improvement in my chronic migraines, and I'm enjoying proving that we can make amazing, mouth-watering, memorable food without animal products. For a more in-depth intro, click here.

I stopped updating this blog quite awhile back, when life got in the way. I'm still keeping a mostly vegan kitchen, though, and loving it. Have fun browsing my recipes!

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day 43: Spicy Mustard Marinade

Have you got one of those awful colds that seems to have caught everyone? (I personally like to think a cold catches me, rather than the other way around!) I have it, D had it, and Molly got it so bad that it turned into an ear infection. My little two-year-old is on antibiotics for the first time in her young life.

Anyway, this marinade will clear your sinuses faster than you can say, "Achoo!" It's spicy and oh-so-good. Nice to invent something successful, after the bland garam masala marinade I attempted a couple of weeks ago (and tried again last week, with only marginal success). Reduce the cayenne and crushed red pepper, or just replace the cayenne with chili powder, if you like things less fiery.

Baked Tofu and Tempeh with Spicy Mustard Marinade

Spicy Mustard Marinade
Ingredients:
1/4 c. soy sauce
2 T. lime juice
1 T. dijon mustard (I like the seeded kind)
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
a few good shakes dried crushed red pepper
1/4 t. dry mustard

Directions:
Stir well. If using as a marinade for baked tofu or tempeh, follow my recipe here. I marinated the tofu for a couple of hours, which was wonderful. But the tempeh only got about 10 minutes, as I didn't realize we were out and had to go buy more. It was still excellent. I sliced it very thin this time, which I think helps. The baked tofu link has some ideas for sandwiches, too. (The White Bean & Caper spread from my previous post also goes nicely with this, balancing out the spiciness.)

8 comments:

  1. That marinade sounds delicious. I'm totally going to give it a shot, maybe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound good. It sounds like it also might be tasty with some added garlic--though I know you don't do much garlic these days. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may be the recipe that renews my faith in tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cate - Let me know how it goes!

    Beth - I think garlic would be good, although the pepper adds such a strong flavor that you might not taste the garlic much. Unless you're decreasing the pepper for the kiddos, in which case garlic would be a nice addition.

    Mary - I hope so! Come back and let me know how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for a new marinade to try out on my kids, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hayley - I hope they like spice! Please come back and let me know how successful it was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this - I was looking for a new marinade for tofu/tempeh, and this is PERFECT. I used half soy sauce, half water to take down the sodium a bit, since I can't find sodium-free soy sauce around here. It's still really good! Your site is totally bookmarked for when I am needing a bit of inspiration during menu-planning. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelley - thanks so much for stopping by! I'm glad to be an inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people come back and tell me how the recipes turned out - please consider doing so! Thanks!

 

blogger templates